During her time as Mayor in 2022-23 Cllr. Fletcher proposed the creation of a Mayoral Community Awards Scheme. The Mayors Community Award nomination process and policy was adopted at the Full Council meeting on 27th March 2023.
The Awards Scheme aims to recognise and celebrate individuals, volunteers and community groups who have made an exceptional contribution to making Monmouth a better place to live, work and raise a family.
Please find the Mayoral Community Awards Scheme policy here
Nominations can be made by any person who has links with Monmouth. Nominations must be submitted to the Town Clerk using the nomination form found here.
The submission should outline the voluntary service provided by the individual or group to the community.
Nominations can be submitted between June to March each year. Nominations will be considered by the Mayor and Town Clerk, and the winner will be presented with their award by the outgoing Mayor at the Annual Meeting usually held in May.
There will usually be 1 winner per Mayoral Year but this decision will be at the discretion of the Mayor considering the nominations.
All nominees for the Mayoral Community Awards should:
- not be employed by Monmouth Town Council or be a currently elected Councillor;
- have made a material contribution towards the improvement of services and facilities in Monmouth or;
- have made a material contribution towards the improvement of the environment in Monmouth or;
- have made a material contribution towards improving the welfare or wellbeing of residents of Monmouth or;
- have significantly promoted or raised the profile of Monmouth or;
- have undertaken significant charitable work or charitable fundraising within Monmouth or;
- have significantly assisted the work of the Town Council in a voluntary capacity or;
- have demonstrated outstanding citizenship or;
- have been recognised for a significant personal achievement e.g. sporting excellence, contribution to arts and culture.
Awards will not normally be given to individuals who are employed to perform a specific community role. These awards are intended to recognise individuals and groups who give up their time to help others. Nominations will continue to be considered in exceptional circumstances, particularly if the individual does other voluntary work or satisfies other criteria.
Please email your nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to Monmouth Town Council c/o The Clerk, Shire Hall, Agincourt Square, Monmouth, NP25 3DY
2023 Mayoral Community Award winners with the Mayor, Macebearers and attendees in the Shire Hall, 15th May 2023
Photo credit: Des Pugh